Fives CC

Fives CC History

About Fives CC

With the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, the country had been divided into different Civil Defence Zones (formerly the A.R.P.).

Civil Defence Flag  

The North London area in which Palmers Green was situated was designated as F5 and the Headquarters was at the Hazelwood Lane sports ground, where a concrete shelter was built and where all the local wardens were based.

ARP Shelter WW2  

During the days of the Blitz there was obviously not much time for relaxing, but when things eased off a bit, the members would indulge in sports and pastimes to while away the hours. So in 1941, it was decided to form a club on a proper basis and what better than Fives (F5).

So was born the Fives Sports and Social Club.

The club was mainly tennis and social in those days, with cricket just a small section of the club. By 1960 the club had over 100 members, of which 14 made up the cricket section. There were 57 tennis members, 15 table tennis members and 25 social members. A great change took place in season 1965-66. With the break up of the tennis section, the cricket section decided to go alone.

Thus was born Fives Cricket Club.

Consequently another momentous change for season 1972-73, when Royal Northern Hospital amalgamated with Fives. to remain as Fives Cricket Club. The ground for both Saturday and Sunday was Hazelwood Lane. In 1982 we moved to Tottenhall Road, and then in 1997 Barrowell Green, moving to our current ground at Old Minchendenians in 2002.

'Fifty years of the Fives' by Pat Macgowan can be viewed here.

Newspaper articles for Fives CC from 1950 onwards can be viewed in the photo galleries.


April 2017 Newsletter
April 2016 Newsletter
June 2015 Newsletter
April 2015 Newsletter